What Sets Bassett Apart?
As prospective candidates, you are facing one of the most challenging and important decisions of your career. In making your decision, please keep in mind these points which we feel are unique to our training programs:
Bassett is committed to medical education:
- Major teaching hospital of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Columbia University since 1947 and is the clinical campus for the Columbia-Bassett Medical School Program.
- Major teaching affiliate of Albany Medical College.
Bassett is organized as a multispecialty group employed model:
- Members of the faculty are full-time and salaried - there are no private physicians in Cooperstown. Faculty offices and examination space are located on campus or in one of the regional health centers/specialty centers. Specialists are immediately available for consultation, and teaching is an on-going, 24-hour process.
Bassett is a personal program with a strong and proud tradition of excellence with missions of patient care, teaching, and research:
- The Medical Education mission includes strong allied health and nursing education programs.
- Pass rate for specialty board certification is very high in all programs.
- Graduates obtain fellowships in programs of their choice with strong and enthusiastic support from faculty members.
We are a network spanning over 8 counties in the region:
The Bassett Healthcare Network is an integrated health care system that provides care and services to people living in an 8 county region covering 5,600 square miles in upstate New York. Ambulatory patient visits for the system approach 700, 000 annually. The organization includes 6 corporately affiliated hospitals, as well as skilled nursing facilities, health centers, and health partners in related fields.
- Bassett Medical Center - the foundation of the Bassett Healthcare Network is a 180-bed, acute care inpatient teaching facility in Cooperstown, New York. Bassett Medical Center's role as a tertiary care provider gives exposure to a wide variety of illnesses and injuries. Bassett offers 24-hour emergency care, comprehensive cancer and heart care, dialysis, most medical and surgical specialties, and is a Level II Trauma Center.
- O'Connor Hospital
- Cobleskill Regional Hospital
- Little Falls Hospital
- Tri-Town Regional Hospital
- A.O. Fox Hospital
- The Bassett Clinic - located on the same campus as the medical center.
- 33 Community Health Centers covering 5,600 square miles
- More than 18 school-based health centers
- The Bassett Research Institute
- The New York Center for Agricultural Medicine and Health
Bassett's commitment to Research has developed from a long history of innovative research dating back to the origins of the organization. Research is one of Bassett's founding missions along with education and patient care.
- National and international recognition.
- Major grant funding from: National Institutes of Health, NY State Department of Health, NY State Department of Labor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Agriculture, Merck, Bristol-Meyers Squibb, Parke-Davis, GlaxoSmithKline, Pfizer, IAMS, Bayer, AAA Foundation and others.
- Strong clinical and basic science research programs.
- Many research opportunities for residents, supported by unique programs providing research grants to residents.
- Numerous opportunities for research into problems relevant to ambulatory care and population-based medicine.
- E. Donnall Thomas Research Program.
Cooperstown is a unique community:
With its abundance of recreational and cultural pleasures, Central New York provides a great place to live for both individuals and families. There is a strong feeling of community within this region, which attracts people from all over the country.
- Bassett is the largest employer in Otsego County (over 3,200 employees).
- The Clark Sports Center is unlike anything to be found in the region, with the emphasis on Nautilus, swimming, racquetball, basketball, bowling, and rock climbing.
- The school system is excellent, and pre-school opportunities include a Montessori school and day care facilities. Graduate education is available at both private Hartwick College and State University of New York at Oneonta - just 30 minutes away.
- There are 3 well-known museums, numerous art and craft galleries, and a number of activities, such as the Glimmerglass Opera, Cooperstown Art Association, and Cooperstown Summer Music Festival.
- Recreational opportunities abound with Otsego Lake as the focal point.