Benefits & Rewards
The stipend schedule in effect for the 2023-2024 academic year is as follows:
- PGY-1: $66,610
- PGY-2: $69,441
- PGY-3: $72,689
- PGY-4: $76,311
- PGY-5: $79,616
- PGY-6: $82,864
PGY-1 residents will receive an educational allowance of $1,000 per academic year to purchase medical textbooks, medical journal subscriptions, medical applications software compatible with any handheld device, and medical society dues. PGY-2 residents will be allowed up to $1,250, PGY-3 residents will be allowed up to $1,500, PGY-4 residents / fellows will be allowed up to $1,750, PGY-5 residents / fellows will be allowed up to $2,000, and PGY-6 residents / fellows will be allowed up to $2,200 per academic year for educational expenses.
Bassett provides 7 days per academic year for PGY-2 — PGY-6 residents / fellows for education leave, including travel. All educational travel must be of value and related to the training program, and approved by the appropriate Program Director. Other educational travel may be approved on an individual basis by the appropriate Program Director or the Director of Medical Education.
Residents moving to Cooperstown for the first time will receive a gross payroll check in the amount of $750. Individual check amounts will vary based on tax withholdings.
This service assists residents with manuscripts, employment / fellowship search letters, and curriculum vitae.
Photo / Audio-Visual Services
Photo / Audio-Visual services are available to residents, at no cost, for presentations within the educational program.
Unlimited photocopying for professional needs is available.
Paid Time Off (PTO)
- 26 PTO days are granted per academic year.
- The structure of when and how these days are scheduled are up to each individual program based on program requirements.
- For PGY-1, a majority of the PTO is pre-scheduled prior to the start of the academic year.
- All time should be used by June 15th of the academic year. At the Program Director’s discretion, time may be used after this date if it is scheduled by October 1st of the academic year. Time not used by the end of the academic year will be forfeited unless inability to use time is due to denial by the Program Director.
- Up to 4 days of Professional Leave are provided during the term of the residency. These days are for the purpose of interviewing for a residency, fellowship, or practice positions.
Bassett observes 6 calendar holidays per year, which will have a variable effect upon the House Staff depending on requirements of the service you are scheduled on at that time.
Bassett provides full coverage for hospital professional liability.
Our best-in-class benefits aim to ease the stress of your everyday, so you can take a breath and focus on the things that matter to you most.
- myBHNrewards: Our approach to benefits and rewards – unapologetically placing you, your ambitions, and your needs at the center by prioritizing Choice, Equity, Efficiency, and Support.
- You will be eligible for most voluntary coverages beginning on the first day of employment, with options for you, your spouse, and dependent child up to the age of 26. This includes medical, dental, pharmacy, and eyewear.
- Short-Term Disability (STD): We provide all eligible caregivers and practitioners with disability benefits in accordance with NYS law. These benefits continue income while an individual is absent due a non-work related injury or illness for up to 26 weeks when an extended absence is due to their own medical incapacity. Bassett will continue payment of regular salary for the same period covered by NYS Short Term Disability.
- Long-Term Disability (LTD): Long-Term Disability coverage provides income replacement if you become ill or injured and are unable to return to work in your own occupation.
- Leave of Absences: Family Medical Leave (FML), NYS Paid Sick Leave (PSL), Bereavement Leave, and Compassionate Leave.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs): Allow you to pay out-of-pocket medical and dependent care expense with pre-tax dollars.
- Health Savings Account (HAS): A savings account set aside to pay for qualified medical expenses with funds that lower your taxable income.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Our EAP is a confidential service, offering you access to experienced counselors who can help with a variety of topics.
- Life and AD&D Insurance: We pay 100% the cost of your Life and AD&D Insurance, while offering you the opportunity to purchase optional life insurance in order to provide additional coverage for your family.
- Retirement: You are eligible to participate in Bassett's 403(b) Retirement Plan effective on your start date.
- Discounts and Perks: We offer a variety of discounts and perks in the areas of Bassett Perks, Health and Wellness, Home / Life, and Dollars & Sense.
- Other Benefits: On-call meal benefit, on-call rooms, white coats and scrubs, library services.