Bassett Healthcare Network offers a yearlong nurse residency program for graduate nurses or registered nurses with limited hospital-based nursing background. The nurse residency program offers the graduate a supportive transitional path from novice to advanced beginner to competent practitioner through a variety of nursing education experiences.
Educational offerings will focus on critical thinking skills, collaboration in an interdisciplinary environment, and conflict resolution skills. Career development in conjunction with Bassett's professional nurse clinical ladder process will be a central theme throughout the residency program.
The education offered during the residency program will include clinically oriented classes, as well as individual bedside teaching, simulation, and observational experiences off the unit.
Through strong preceptor/mentor relationships, the nurse residency program offers the unique opportunity to learn from nurse colleagues so you may develop your professional talents.
The nurse residency program ends with a clinical champion project where nurse residents can make an impact right in their own units.
Placement of Nurse Residency Participants
Graduate nurses and registered nurses are offered employment in many areas of the hospital:
- Birthing Center
- Dialysis Unit
- Emergency Department
- Intensive Care Unit
- Medical Unit
- Pediatric Unit
- Perioperative Services
- Psychiatric Unit
- Special Care Unit
- Surgical Unit
- And more!
Interested applicants should apply to one of our open nursing positions. After applying, nurse candidates can expect:
- To be scheduled for an employment interview with the nurse recruiter and nurse manager of the unit(s) of interest
- Successful candidates will be college graduates with a major in nursing
- All new graduate nurses (GN) will be eligible to obtain a New York State permit
- The GN will be expected to take the New York State RN NCLEX licensure exam within six months of hire to Bassett Medical Center.
- A minimum of 12 weeks of unit-based education is required of all nurse residents; up to 1 year depending on the specialty.
- Benefits to begin following 30 days of employment
Professional Development Programs
Bassett Medical Center offers a professional development program to newly hired graduate registered nurses in acute care.