Nursing Residency Program
Bassett Healthcare Network offers a yearlong nurse residency program for graduate nurses or registered nurses with minimal hospital-based nursing background. The nurse residency program offers the graduate a supportive transitional path from novice to advanced beginner to competent practitioner through a variety of nursing education experiences.
Educational offerings will focus on critical thinking skills, collaboration in an interdisciplinary environment and conflict resolution skills. Career development in conjunction with Bassett's professional nurse clinical ladder process will be a central theme throughout the residency program.
The education offered during the residency program will include clinically oriented classes, as well as individual bedside teaching and observational experiences off the unit.
Through strong preceptor/mentor relationships, the nurse residency program offers the unique opportunity to learn from nurse colleagues so you may develop your professional talents.
Placement of Nurse Residency Participants
Graduate nurses and registered nurses are offered employment in many areas of the hospital:
- Medical Unit
- Surgical Unit / Short Stay Unit
- Intensive Care Unit
- Perioperative Services
- Dialysis Unit
- Special Care Unit
- Pediatric Unit
- Birthing Center
Interested applicants must submit a completed employment application, resume and references to the nurse recruiter in the Human Resources Department of Bassett Medical Center.
- All nurse candidates will be scheduled for an employment interview with the nurse recruiter and nurse manager of the unit(s) of interest.
- Successful candidates will be college graduates with a major in nursing.
- All new graduate nurses (GN) will be eligible to obtain a New York State permit.
- The GN will be expected to take the New York State RN NCLEX licensure exam within six months of hire to Bassett Medical Center.
- Six-week competency-based unit orientation is required of all nurses.
- Benefits begin following 30 days of employment.
For more information, contact:
Chelsea Greer, Nurse Recruiter
Human Resources Department
Bassett Medical Center
One Atwell Road
Cooperstown, NY 13326-1394
Professional Development Programs
Bassett Medical Center offers a professional development program to newly hired graduate registered nurses in acute care.