Women seek breast care services for screening, diagnosis, and treatment of irregularities in their breasts. About 230,000 new cases of breast cancer are diagnosed each year in the United States, and while it is a treatable disease, early detection results in better outcomes.
The most basic step in the early detection of breast cancer is a monthly breast self-examination. If a woman finds something unfamiliar while examining her breasts, she is encouraged to make an appointment right away. In addition to self-examinations, clinical breast exams and annual mammograms are very important and increase a woman’s chances of surviving breast cancer.
Bassett Healthcare Network’s Breast Care Center offers comprehensive services aimed at promoting breast health, including:
- Breast cancer prevention services, such as genetic testing and risk evaluation
- Instruction in breast self-examination
- Conventional and 3D Mammograms
- Breast MRIs and ultrasounds
- Breast sonograms
- Breast biopsy procedures
- Radiation and medical oncology services
The Cancer Services Program also provides breast exams and education regarding breast care.
Individualized Breast Care Services
At Bassett Healthcare Network, our skilled radiologists, radiology technologists, nurses, and other specialists will create your breast care plan according to your specific needs. Our Breast Care Center has earned two important accreditations in providing quality care for our patients - ACR (American College of Radiology), and NAPBC (National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers).
Breast Exam Procedures
We provide wire localizations under X-ray or ultrasound guidance, X-ray-guided (stereotactic) mammotomes or core biopsies, ultrasound-guided mammotomes, breast sonograms, and cyst aspirations under ultrasound guidance as part of our interventional breast procedures at our Breast Care Center.
Breast Care Centers
Bassett Healthcare Network makes breast exams and information about breast care convenient for women across Central New York:
- Mammogram Sites – The Bassett Clinic in Cooperstown, FoxCare Center and A.O. Fox Hospital in Oneonta, O'Connor Hospital in Delhi, Cobleskill Regional Hospital, and Herkimer Health Center all offer breast cancer screening through mammograms.
- The Mobile Cancer Screening Coach brings education, breast exams, and mammograms to women at locations throughout the Central New York region. For sites, dates, and more information, please call 1-888-416-3409.
- The Cancer Services Program provides free mammograms to both under-insured and uninsured women who meet income guidelines. To learn more, please call 1-888-345-0225 or 607-433-3707.
- Genetic counseling and testing is offered through Bassett Healthcare Network. Women who believe they are at high risk or are known to be at high risk may wish to discuss genetic counseling and testing with one of our specialists.
Contact Your Primary Care Practitioner
All women are encouraged to perform breast self-examinations monthly, and – starting at age 40 – receive mammograms each year. Contact your primary care practitioner, OB-GYN, or gynecologist for a referral for breast screening or other breast care services, or call (607) 547-3600 to schedule your screening.
Bassett Healthcare Network offers breast care in Central New York at several locations, including Cooperstown, Oneonta, Delhi, Cobleskill, Little Falls, Herkimer, and throughout the region through our mobile mammography van.