What is the Cancer Services Program?
The Cancer Services Program (CSP) of the Central Region provides breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screenings and diagnostic services at NO COST to women and men who:
- Live in New York State
- Do not have health insurance
- Have health insurance with a cost share that may prevent a person from obtaining screening and/or diagnostic services
- Meet age requirements
Call 1-888-345-0225 to learn more.
Follow the CSP on Facebook for cancer screening events, education, information, and more.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Breast Cancer Screening (Mammogram and Clinical Breast Exam)
- Women ages 40 and older (some programs serve women ages 50 and older only)
- Women under age 40 at high risk for breast cancer*
- Cervical Cancer Screening (Pap Test, high-risk HPV test, and Pelvic Exam)
- Women ages 40 and older
- Colorectal Cancer Screening (Fecal Occult Blood Test / Fecal Immunochemical Test Kit)
- Men and women ages 50 and older at average risk for colorectal cancer
- Colorectal Cancer Screening (Colonoscopy)
- Men and women at increased or high risk for colorectal cancer*
*Only as determined by a New York State-licensed health care provider per program guidelines.
If you are outside of these age ranges and in need of screening or diagnostic services, please call the Cancer Services Program of the Central Region at 1-888-345-0225 to find out if you may qualify based on personal or family history, certain conditions, or current symptoms.
Services are provided in local clinics, health centers, doctors' offices, and hospitals in every county and borough in New York State by health care providers who participate in the CSP. The CSP is also able to hold mobile screening coach events throughout the region by utilizing the Bassett Cancer Institute's mobile screening coach.
Early cancer detection saves lives!
Screening tests can prevent cervical and colorectal cancers by finding abnormal cells before they become cancer so that they can be removed. Screening tests for breast, cervical, and colorectal cancers also find these cancers early, when treatment is most successful.
- If the screening test finds something abnormal, diagnostic (testing) services are available through the CSP for eligible women and men at no cost. The CSP will also provide a case manager who will guide you through your follow-up diagnostic appointment.
- If breast, cervical, or colorectal cancer is found, eligible women and men may be able to enroll in the NYS Medicaid Cancer Treatment Program to receive full Medicaid coverage for the entire time they are being treated for cancer.
- Men diagnosed with prostate cancer by a CSP health care provider may be able to enroll in the NYS Medicaid Cancer Treatment Program (the CSP does not pay for prostate cancer screening or diagnostic services).
The Cancer Services Program of the Central Region provides services to Delaware, Otsego, Schoharie, Madison, Oneida, and Herkimer counties.
If you are outside of this area, call 1-866-442-CANCER (2262) to find the CSP nearest you providing breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screening, diagnostic services and referral to treatment and support. The call is free and operators are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to connect you to a Cancer Services Program near you. Hablamos español. Translation services for other languages are available as well.
You can also visit the NYS Department of Health Cancer Services Program Community Programs List to find your local CSP by county or borough and call directly.
Most health insurance plans, including Medicaid and the plans participating in the New York State of Health, cover breast, cervical, and colorectal cancer screenings at no cost to the patient.
To learn more about the New York State of Health and Medicaid, visit these websites:
Forms, Tools, & Information for Contracted CSP Providers
Contracted providers can visit our Forms, Tools, & Information page to access documents and other important information.