Living Well Diabetes Prevention
“I'm taking better care of myself. I've learned that I actually can do this.”
Call 607-547-3948 for more information or to talk with a member of our team.
Living Well Diabetes Prevention is a year-long lifestyle change program designed for those who want support delaying or preventing type 2 diabetes. In the first phase of the program, participants meet for one hour weekly for 16 weeks to create healthy changes in their life. In phase two, they meet once monthly for 8 months to support and maintain these healthy changes. You will learn new ways to support physical, mental, and emotional health.
With this program you will receive:
- A CDC-approved curriculum focused on implementing daily lifestyle changes
- Skills needed to lose weight, be more physically active, and manage stress
- Guidance and encouragement from a trained lifestyle coach
- Knowledge about physical activity, nutrition, and diet
- Tips for healthy eating, including when eating away from home
- Emotional and stress management techniques
- Training on coping with triggers
- Tracking tools such as activity logs and action plans
- Support from other participants with similar goals
Living Well Diabetes Prevention Workshop Eligibility & Registration
Eligibility and registration is required.
To be eligible for a CDC-recognized lifestyle change program, you must meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Be 18 years or older
- Be overweight (body mass index above 24, or 22 if you are of Asian descent)
- Have NOT been diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes
- NOT be pregnant
In addition, you must meet ONE of the following criteria:
- Have had a recent blood test in the prediabetes range, which includes one of the following tests and results:
- Hemoglobin A1C: 5.7–6.4% or
- Fasting plasma glucose: 100–125 mg/dL or
- Two-hour plasma glucose (after a 75 gm glucose load): 140–199 mg/dL
- Have received a result of high risk for type 2 diabetes on the Prediabetes Risk Test.
- A doctor previously diagnosed you with gestational diabetes.
Registration is required. At this time there is no fee, just a commitment to participate throughout the workshop. Should this program become a reimbursable service, Bassett Medical Center will advise you of your financial obligation, if any. You will have the opportunity to decide whether to continue participating in the program.
- Online Workshop Using Zoom
- The Diabetes Prevention workshop is held online from 12:00pm – 1:00pm or 5:00pm – 6:00pm using the Zoom platform. You may start the 12-month program on the first Wednesday of every month.
For more information on each delivery mode, please visit our Living Well FAQ page.
Donate to Living Well
Support our Work
To donate to the Living Well program and support our work, please click the below link, select "Other" as the designation, and type "Living Well" into the "other designation" box.