Bassett Cancer Institute’s financial counselors focus on developing life-sustaining cancer financial support for our patients, considering their unique financial situations, and their individual and family financial needs.
Financial counselors work to offer financial help for cancer patients, and reduce the anxiety and hardship related to the costs of treatment for cancer care. They help patients understand what their health insurance will cover in the way of treatment, and any likely out-of-pocket expenses that insurance will not cover. They can also help with cost-saving methods, access to available funding, or enrollment in payment plans, if necessary.
Your financial counselor can help you develop a budget using your existing income and funds, and to help source outside aid if you need it. It is their job to explain your financial options in plain and simple language so that you can choose the best financial path for you and your family.
The financial counselors at Bassett Healthcare Network provide the following services:
- Full benefit investigation on insurance
- Clear explanation of what a patient’s insurance is responsible for and what the patient is responsible for
- Assistance with insurance issues
- Support accessing affordable drugs
- A financial assessment and referrals to most applicable Bassett affiliated financial assistance programs
- A personal budget created to meet our patients’ individual needs, and accounting for the ongoing needs of partners and children
Contact our Financial Counselors
Bassett Healthcare Network’s financial counselors provide personal financial planning and assistance for patients seeking cancer support services. In Cooperstown or Herkimer, call 607-547-3377. In Oneonta or Cobleskill, call 607-376-0163.
Financial counselors are referred to patients through their cancer care social workers or nurse navigators. We provide financial help for cancer patients in Central New York, including in Herkimer, Cobleskill, Oneonta, and Cooperstown.