Medical Social Workers
A cancer diagnosis can be challenging to our patients, as can the social, emotional, spiritual, legal, and/or financial implications the diagnosis may cause. Our team of licensed medical social workers, or LMSWs, at the Bassett Cancer Institute help guide patients, families, and care givers throughout diagnosis, treatment, and beyond.
Our hospital social workers coordinate closely with treatment teams including physicians, nurses, nutritionists, and other support services, to provide the best possible care and outcome. They act as a link to all available non-medical community resources and services, providing support, and assisting patients and families who are dealing with the practical burden associated with a serious illness.
A cancer care social worker will meet you on your first visit to the Cancer Institute, and will assess your needs and answer any questions that you might have. They will develop a comprehensive plan to help you and your family confront any issues that may arise, so that you can focus your energy on your treatment.
How Medical Social Workers help:
Our team’s goal is to help you achieve your goal. We can help provide:
- Adjustment to illness counseling
- Referrals to our financial counselors, who can provide financial assessment and counseling for patients with and without insurance
- Family meetings and communication with the multidisciplinary treatment team
- Linkage to cancer-specific resources
- Assistance in getting needed medication
- Assistance with short- and long-term disability through NY state, employers, and social security
- Assistance with advance directives and referrals for palliative care
- Transportation and housing assistance
- Accommodations for patients & loved ones at Hanna-Lee House
- Referrals to our clinical dieticians
- Community assistance – community programs, in-home care
- Introduction to support groups, including our cancer support group
- Additional support and advocacy for domestic violence and substance abuse
Contact our Cancer Care Social Workers
As licensed medical social workers, we provide social, emotional, spiritual, and legal assistance for patients seeking cancer support services, and help link patients and their families to the support specialists that can best help throughout each step of the journey. To learn more about our social work program, please call 607-547-4963 for Cooperstown, 315-867-2808 for Herkimer, and 607-433-6470 for Oneonta.
Bassett Healthcare Network’s licensed medical social workers help patients seeking cancer support services throughout Central New York, including Herkimer, Oneonta, and Cooperstown, NY.