Frequently Asked Questions
To receive services, the parent must complete the Student Information Form and the Consent to Bill Insurance Form. After that, the enrollment must be updated each year. Students who do not have a completed SBHC enrollment on file will not be able to use the SBHC. Enrollment in the SBHC is voluntary and can be completed at any time. There are no eligibility requirements except to be a student attending the SBHC school. A parent may call their child's school nurse or SBHC staff or send a note to arrange for the child to be seen at the SBHC. Parents are welcome to accompany their children to the Health Center. If a child is too ill to attend school and the parent would like him/her to be seen by the SBHC staff, parents may call the school nurse or SBHC to arrange for a same-day appointment.
A Bassett Healthcare Network School Based Health Center (SBHC) is a medical office located in the school building that is a partnership between a school district and the Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital. Bassett SBHCs provide high-quality comprehensive and preventative medical, mental health and dental care to students in pre-k through 12th grade at the school. We can be your primary care practitioner and/or we will work with your primary care practitioner in caring for your child. SBHCs are open 7:45 am to 4:00 pm when school is in session. We have extended hours from 4:00 pm to 6:00 pm, once a month, at each of our sites. Bassett School-Based Health is now accredited as a Level 3 Patient-Centered Medical Home by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA). A medical home embraces the care partnership between families and their health providers to ensure that patients receive the most comprehensive care possible.
- Complete Physical Examinations (may be used for NYS mandated school physicals, sports physicals, camp, college, working papers)
- Comprehensive health care including diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illness and reproductive health care
- Health Education
- Referral Services
- Health screening (vision, hearing, scoliosis)
- Preventive dental services and referrals
- First Aid
- Mental health screening, consultation, and referrals
- Counseling/psychotherapy services
- Child Health Plus information and enrollment assistance
There will never be any out-of-pocket expenses for SBHC services. The SBHC program will bill the student's health insurance for services provided on site at the School-Based Health Center. If the student does not have health insurance, there will be no charge to the student's family for health services provided. Billing services are provided through Bassett Healthcare Network. It is important to note that the cost of services provided outside of the SBHC, such as laboratory tests, X-rays, specialty consultations and prescriptions are the responsibility of the parent. We recommend that you become familiar with your child's health insurance coverage.
New York State has a health insurance plan for kids called Child Health Plus. Your child may be eligible to join Child Health Plus depending on your family's income. The School-Based Health Center can help you enroll in Child Health Plus.
Yes, the school nurse will continue to provide all students with the same services they had in the past regardless of their enrollment in the School-Based Health Center.
- The SBH Nurse Practitioner (NP) or Physician Assistant (PA) is on site to provide comprehensive physical exams, diagnose and treat illnesses, and prescribe medication. An NP or PA works with a Bassett Healthcare Network Physician.
- The Bassett Healthcare Network Physician is available for consultation as needed and is onsite regularly to provide direct patient services. Telemedicine is available for some services.
- The SBH Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) provides nursing care providing immunizations and works collaboratively with other practitioners and referral sources.
- The SBH Ambulatory Office Assistant (AOA) provides ongoing support to our patients and program in a variety of ways, in-person and on the phone.
- The SBH Dentist is available by referral to provide restorative dental services.
- The SBH Dental Hygienist (RDH) is available to provide preventive dental services, referrals, and education.
- The SBH Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) provides individual and group psychotherapy, consultations, and family therapy as needed.
- The SBH Care Coordinator assists families with referral sources, transportation, and follow-up after hospital visits.
- The SBH Registered Dietician provides nutrition consultations and ongoing nutritional counseling.
The toll free number during normal business hours when school is closed is 1-844-255-7242. A nurse practitioner or physician assistant and a mental health therapist are available to speak with you. If your child needs emergency treatment, call 911.
All medical records are confidential, as they are part of the Bassett Healthcare Network medical records system. In order to provide quality, comprehensive health care to the students enrolled, the SBHC staff would be happy to send a copy of your child's medical visits to her/his primary care health practitioner. Before we can send any records, the parent must sign the Student Information Form.