Fibroids are tumors, attached to the wall of the uterus, but they are usually non-cancerous. At Bassett Healthcare Network, our specialists remove uterine fibroids whether or not they are cancerous, as they can result in painful sex or extreme discomfort from bloating, frequent urination, or unusually heavy menstrual periods.
Uterine fibroids are not generally considered a health danger when they first appear, but they cause uncomfortable symptoms and grow to become problematic. Untreated uterine fibroids may cause any of the following symptoms:
- Heavy menstrual bleeding that hinders normal activities
- Irregular bleeding between periods
- Fast growth of the tumors
- Lower abdomen or back pain
At Bassett Healthcare Network, we employ a number of gynecologic surgery techniques for removing fibroid tumors, including:
- Myomectomy, surgical removal either through the vagina, or by making incisions in the abdomen
- Hysterectomy, the complete removal of the uterus, either through the abdomen or the vagina, often performed by laparoscopy or robotic surgery
- MyoSure tissue removal procedures, which removes fibroids from the uterine cavity, as well as polyps and other intrauterine tissues, without having to remove the uterus
- Uterine fibroid embolization cuts off blood flow to the fibroids, making them shrink
- MRI-guided ultrasound surgery, using ultrasound waves to eliminate the fibroids
You and your primary care practitioner will choose the most suitable method for you, based on the size and number of fibroids, your age and health, and whether you want to have children in the future. You will need several weeks to recover after the surgery.
Contact Your Primary Care Physician or Practitioner
Bassett Healthcare Network offers uterine fibroid removal in Central New York, including Cooperstown, Oneonta, Herkimer, Little Falls, and Cobleskill.