Heart Disease Prevention
Leading a heart-healthy lifestyle now can help avoid heart disease and other heart problems later in life. The cardiac care team at Bassett Healthcare Network provides screenings, counseling, and additional services involved in teaching you how to keep your heart healthy.
Our cardiovascular disease prevention programs include:
- Preventive Cardiology and Lipid Clinic, where patients can assess their risk of developing heart disease with cholesterol and lipid profile tests, learn to manage high blood pressure, discover smoking cessation techniques, and learn more about weight loss programs and how to follow a heart-healthy diet
- Pre-Exercise Heart Screenings, including stress tests for people who are currently inactive, want to increase their activity levels, or participate in competitive team sports
Risk Factors for Heart Disease
Preventive heart care is especially important for individuals who are at a higher than usual risk for heart disease. Risk factors for heart disease include:
- A family history of heart disease
- Age over 45 for men and over 55 for women
- High cholesterol
- High blood pressure
- A diagnosis of diabetes
- Lack of exercise
- Insulin resistance, when your cells cannot absorb glucose and it builds up in the blood
- Metabolic syndrome, including high blood pressure, high blood sugar, or abdominal fat
How to Keep Your Heart Healthy
At Bassett Healthcare Network, our cardiology team helps patients prevent heart disease by managing the following:
- Diet, including heart-healthy foods and weight management
- Lifestyle, including stress management and quitting smoking
- Exercise, determining the amount of activity that is safe and healthy for each individual
- Continuing medical care, including regular screenings and treating any heart-related conditions, such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and diabetes
Talk to Your Primary Care Practitioner About Preventing Heart Disease
To learn more about preventive heart care, ask your primary care physician or practitioner for a referral to Bassett Healthcare Network’s preventive heart services, or call 607-547-3180 to schedule a consultation.
Bassett Healthcare Network offers preventive heart services in Central New York, including Cooperstown, Herkimer, Cobleskill, Oneonta, Delhi, Little Falls, and Cobleskill.