Your heart works constantly, pumping blood through its four chambers and sending it out into your body. When you have a heart condition, it means that some illness or dysfunction is interrupting that process and preventing the heart from working properly.
A cardiovascular condition might refer to the heart muscle itself, or to the arteries and veins that carry your blood.
The most prevalent cardiovascular conditions treated at Bassett Healthcare Network include:
- Angina, chest pain caused by too little oxygen getting to the heart tissue
- Atrial fibrillation, a disorder of the heart’s rhythm
- Carotid artery disease, an illness affecting the two large arteries that supply blood to the brain
- Cardiac arrest, when the heart suddenly stops beating
- Congenital heart disease, a heart defect that starts at birth
- Heart disease, such as coronary artery disease, a narrowing of the small arteries that deliver blood to the heart
- Heart attack, when one or more of the coronary arteries is completely blocked and the heart’s cells can’t get oxygen
- Heart failure, when the heart cannot pump blood as well as it should to the rest of the body
- Congestive heart failure, when the heart pumps weakly
- Heart valve disease, when the flaps (valves) inside the heart malfunction for any reason
- High blood pressure, or hypertension, when the blood flowing through the arteries is so forceful it can damage them
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm, or abdominal aortic aneurysm, when part of the wall of major arteries is weak and bulges out to the side
- Arrhythmia, or irregular heartbeat
- High cholesterol, a buildup of fat in the blood that can cause arteries to clog
How Heart Conditions Develop
Heart disorders have many causes, including genetics and lifestyle choices, such as smoking or lack of exercise. In some instances, the cause of a heart condition may be unknown, but the most common risk factors are age, family history, unhealthy diet, smoking, and a sedentary lifestyle.
Preventing & Treating Heart Problems
At Bassett Healthcare Network, we offer a range of preventive heart services to help you avoid heart problems or catch them before they become serious. To reduce your risk of developing certain heart conditions, you can choose a healthy lifestyle with good nutrition, regular aerobic exercise, and no smoking.
The treatments for heart conditions we provide focus on repairing any structural flaws of the heart. Our heart specialists also provide care for all heart-related illnesses with medications, surgery, and rehabilitation.
Taking Care of Your Heart Condition
If you suspect that you may have a heart condition, ask your primary care practitioner for a referral to set up an appointment with one of our experienced heart care specialists at Bassett Healthcare Network. Our cardiology team will examine you, and, if necessary, create a personalized treatment plan.
Bassett Healthcare Network treats heart conditions across Central New York, including Delhi, Little Falls, Cooperstown, Cobleskill, Oneonta, Herkimer, and numerous other locations.