Heart Disease Treatments
Cardiovascular procedures can correct a wide range of heart problems and reduce or eliminate symptoms caused by heart disease, such as chest pain, shortness of breath, and fatigue. Our heart disease treatments include minimally invasive heart surgery, as well as implanted devices and more complex cardiac surgery. Heart procedures at Bassett Healthcare Network include the following:
- 3D mapping, which follows the electrical activity of your heart muscle to help find the source of an arrhythmia (abnormal heartbeat)
- Cardiac ablation, which identifies and destroys heart cells that cause arrhythmia
- Cardiac catheterization, when cardiologists insert a thin tube into an artery to find a blockage
- Coronary artery bypass graft, a procedure to replace a blocked portion of a coronary artery
- Endovascular stent, or heart stent, a small tube placed inside a blocked artery to hold it open and increase blood flow
- Left ventricular assist device (LVAD), a mechanical heart pump
- Open heart surgery, any cardiovascular surgery in which surgeons access the heart through the chest
- Pacemaker implantation, a device that’s placed in the chest to help regulate the heartbeat
- Thrombolysis, “clot-busting” medications to dissolve blood clots
Reasons for Heart Surgery
At Bassett Healthcare Network, our cardiac surgeons perform interventional cardiology procedures and open heart surgery in order to:
- Correct certain heart defects present at birth (congenital defects)
- Open blocked arteries to improve blood flow
- Bypass blocked arteries to improve blood flow to the heart muscle
- Replace a damaged heart valve
- Correct arrhythmias, including rapid or irregular heartbeats
- Implant a pacemaker or other device to regulate the heartbeat
Recovery After Cardiac Treatments
The length of your recovery period will depend on the type of treatment you receive. Before your treatment, discuss your recovery and limitations with your primary care practitioner so you can prepare for a successful rehabilitation.
Get a Referral for Heart Care
If you experience symptoms of heart trouble, talk to your primary care physician or practitioner about a referral for cardiac treatment, or call 607-547-4770 to schedule an appointment with a cardiologist. These procedures can be life-saving, and you may feel increased energy because your heart will be working more efficiently.
Bassett Healthcare Network provides cardiac treatments in Central New York, including Cooperstown, Oneonta, Herkimer, Little Falls, Cobleskill, and beyond.