Radiation Treatment for Cancer
Many cancer patients undergo radiation therapy to kill cancer cells and shrink tumors with ionizing radiation, as part of their cancer care. Some cancers can be cured with radiation, especially if the cancer is found in its early stages. Radiation therapy can also help reduce symptoms of cancer.
Bassett Healthcare Network was the first health system to offer SpaceOAR hydrogel in the region, and one of the few institutions nationwide to offer this form of radiotherapy. This specialized procedure protects prostate cancer patients from radiation by shielding healthy rectal tissue.
Radiation Oncology Treatments
Sometimes called radiotherapy, there are three kinds of radiation therapy:
- External beam radiation therapy directs radiation at your tumor or cancer from a machine called a linear accelerator. Bassett Healthcare Network offers external radiation using intensity-modulated radiation treatment (IMRT), image-guided radiation treatment (IGRT), and stereotactic radiotherapy (SBRT and SRS)
- High Dose-Rate Brachytherapy is a high-intensity radiation treatment given by placing radioactive material inside or next to a tumor, and is used to treat some breast and gynecologic cancers
- Radiopharmaceuticals, which are radioactive medications. This type of treatment is received through an IV or pill form. Our radiation oncologists use radiopharmaceuticals to treat some thyroid cancers and bone cancers. Bassett Healthcare Network proudly offers prostate cancer treatment with Xofigo and Radium-223
Radiation is a common treatment for many types of cancer, because radiation can assist in shrinking tumors to either relieve pain/other symptoms or so that they may be surgically removed, destroying tumors without the need for surgery, or reducing the chance that cancer re-occurs following other treatments, such as surgery or chemotherapy.
Interventional radiology is a specialty of radiation therapy, in which our specialists diagnose and treat diseases guided by radiological images. Interventional radiologists at Bassett Healthcare Network perform the following minimally invasive procedures:
- Tumor ablation
- Angiographies and embolization
- Percutaneous needle and transjugular liver needle biopsies
- Uterine fibroid embolization (UFE)
Get a Referral for Radiation Therapy
Radiation therapy is an effective treatment for shrinking or destroying tumors for a range of cancers. If you are receiving cancer treatment, ask your primary care practitioner or specialist if radiation therapy would be a good option for you. Call 607-547-3336 for more information.
Bassett Healthcare Network offers radiation therapy in Central New York, with locations in Oneonta, Cobleskill, Cooperstown, Herkimer, Little Falls, and beyond.