Smoking poses numerous health risks to smokers, including cancer, heart disease, and chronic lung disease. By quitting smoking, you can reduce your risk of many health issues, and increase your quality and longevity of life.
The benefits of quitting tobacco products are immediate and long lasting:
- Within 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure drop
- 12 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal
- 2-12 weeks, your circulation improves and your lung function increases
- 1-9 months, coughing and shortness of breath decrease
- 1 year, your risk of coronary heart disease is about half that of a smoker's
- 5 years, your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting
- 10 years, your risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a smoker and your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decreases
- 15 years, the risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's
Nicotine replacement therapies such as gum, patches, inhalers, prescription medications in combination with cessation counseling is the most effective path to successful quitting.
Talk with your primary care practitioner about the right therapies for you. For more information and help quitting, call 1-866-NY-QUITS (1-866-697-8487), or visit www.nysmokefree.com.
One-on-One Tobacco Cessation Counseling
Bassett Healthcare Network offers one-on-one tobacco cessation counseling with one of our two counselors. Our counselors provides one-on-one tobacco cessation counseling for those who smoke, vape, or chew tobacco, and works with your primary care practitioner to prescribe replacement medication to further aid you in your journey to quit tobacco.
Our counselors are located at Bassett Medical Center and Cobleskill Regional Hospital for in-person appointments, and offer over-the-phone appointments after an initial appointment in person.
Choose a counselor closest to you, and call to discuss appointment options, no referral needed, or fill out the quick form below.