Smoking poses numerous health risks to smokers, including cancer, heart disease, and chronic lung disease. By quitting smoking, you can reduce your risk of many health issues, and increase your quality and longevity of life.
The benefits of quitting tobacco products are immediate and long lasting:
- Within 20 minutes, your heart rate and blood pressure drop
- 12 hours, the carbon monoxide level in your blood drops to normal
- 2-12 weeks, your circulation improves and your lung function increases
- 1-9 months, coughing and shortness of breath decrease
- 1 year, your risk of coronary heart disease is about half that of a smoker's
- 5 years, your stroke risk is reduced to that of a nonsmoker 5 to 15 years after quitting
- 10 years, your risk of lung cancer falls to about half that of a smoker and your risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, cervix, and pancreas decreases
- 15 years, the risk of coronary heart disease is that of a nonsmoker's
Nicotine replacement therapies such as gum, patches, inhalers, prescription medications in combination with cessation counseling is the most effective path to successful quitting.
Learn More About Quitting Tobacco
Talk with your primary care practitioner about the right therapies for you. There are many free and low-cost resources available as well, including: