Treatment for kidney disease can be difficult, and dialysis is the most common treatment for kidney failure and chronic kidney disease. New advances allow you to receive treatment either at a dialysis center or in the comfort of your own home. With consistent treatment, many dialysis patients live an active life for many years.
Our team delivers comprehensive treatments to make our patients more comfortable. We work with you to help you lead a healthier and more satisfying life.
Bassett Healthcare Network offers both inpatient and outpatient dialysis care for patients with renal disease, chronic kidney disease, and end-stage renal disease (ESRD). Our comprehensive program includes:
- Inpatient acute dialysis therapies – we provide advanced dialysis care and a full spectrum of renal replacement therapies
- Outpatient hemodialysis – done in a dialysis center or at home, a machine serves as an artificial kidney and filters the blood to remove wastes and extra fluids. Treatment typically takes several hours
- Outpatient peritoneal dialysis – done at home or in a dialysis center, a machine removes the waste from your blood by filtering the blood through your abdomen lining. The space in the abdomen that houses the organs and is lined by two special membrane layers called the peritoneum. Fluid fills the peritoneum and pulls wastes and extra fluid from the blood using the membrane as a filter. Once the wastes have been absorbed, the fluid is drained, and fresh fluid is added. This process is repeated daily several times under your doctor’s supervision
AV Fistula Makes Dialysis Possible
An AV fistula, or arteriovenous fistula, is the patient’s lifeline that makes hemodialysis treatments possible. The AV fistula is placed by a vascular surgeon and connect an artery to a vein. It is typically placed in the forearm or upper arm and will allow the vein to withstand repeated dialysis treatments. This method is recommended by the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services.
Dialysis Support Services
Bassett Healthcare Network’s kidney treatments and services include:
- Anemia management
- Diabetic monitoring by certified technicians
- Registered dietitians for nutrition education
- Social work for support and counseling
- Patient and family education
Our dialysis centers in Cooperstown, Oneonta, and Little Falls are staffed by doctors and nurses who are experts in internal medicine and nephrology (kidney treatment). Our multi-disciplinary team includes nephrologists, vascular surgeons, certified technicians, dietitians, social workers, and nurses.
Our three locations provide advanced kidney treatment in a comfortable and relaxing setting. Each station has a fully reclining chair and personal TV with cable programming. There is plenty of room for a family member or friend to visit while you receive your treatment.
Kidney Treatment & Dialysis Services
If you have kidney disease or end-stage renal disease (ESRD), dialysis can change your life. Our team can help you adjust to the lifestyle changes you will need to make and provide the one-on-one education you will need. If you have questions about our dialysis services or dialysis centers, call 1-800-BASSETT.
Bassett Healthcare Network has dialysis centers in Central New York, including in Little Falls, Oneonta, and Cooperstown.