Frequently Asked Questions

How does a student receive services?

To receive services, the parent must complete the Student Information Form and the Consent to Bill Insurance Form. After that, the enrollment must be updated each year. Students who do not have a completed SBHC enrollment on file will not be able to use the SBHC. Enrollment in the SBHC is voluntary and can be completed at any time. There are no eligibility requirements except to be a student attending the SBHC school.

A parent may call their child's school nurse or SBHC staff or send a note to arrange for the child to be seen at the SBHC. Parents are welcome to accompany their children to the Health Center. If a child is too ill to attend school and the parent would like him/her to be seen by the SBHC staff, parents may call the school nurse or SBHC to arrange for a same day appointment.

What is a Bassett Healthcare School-Based Health Center (SBHC)?

A Bassett Healthcare SBHC is a medical office in the school building, in partnership between a school district and the Mary Imogene Bassett Hospital. A SBHC provides comprehensive health care services to students in pre-kindergarten through 12th grade atthe school. It can work with your healthcare provider in caring for your child. For children without a primary healthcare provider, the SBHC staff may become that provider. If a child needs care when school is closed, the parent may decide where to go, including area Bassett Healthcare sites when there are available openings.

What services are provided?

  • dental.jpgComplete Physical Examinations (may be used for NYS mandated school physicals, sports physicals, camp, college, working papers)
  • Comprehensive health care including diagnosis and treatment of acute and chronic illness and reproductive health care
  • Health Education
  • Referral Services
  • Health screening (vision, hearing, scoliosis)
  • Preventive dental services and referrals
  • First Aid
  • Immunizations
  • Mental health screening, consultation and referrals
  • Counseling/psychotherapy services
  • Child Health Plus information and enrollment assistance

What does it cost to use the SBHC?

There will never be any out-of-pocket expenses for SBHC services. The SBHC program will bill the student's health insurance for services provided on site at the School-Based Health Center. If the student does not have health insurance, there will be no charge to the student's family for health services provided. Billing services are provided through Bassett Healthcare.

It is important to note that the cost of services provided outside of the SBHC, such as laboratory tests, X-rays, specialty consultations and prescriptions are the responsibility of the parent.

We recommend that you become familiar with your child's health insurance coverage.

What is Child Health Plus?

blood_pressure.jpgNew York State has a health insurance plan for kids called Child Health Plus. Your child may be eligible to join Child Health Plus depending on your family's income. The School-Based Health Center can help you enroll in Child Health Plus.

Are school nurse services still available?

Yes, the school nurse will continue to provide all students with the same services they had in the past regardless of their enrollment in the School-Based Health Center.

Who are the School-Based Health Center Staff?

  • A Nurse Practitioner (NP) will be on site to diagnose and treat illnesses and prescribe medications. The NP will work with a Bassett Healthcare Physician.
  • A Bassett Healthcare Physician will be available for consultation as needed and will be on site at the school regularly to provide direct patient services.
  • A Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) assists with health care at some sites.
  • A Medical Office Assistant (MOA) will provide support to the program along with assisting families with Child Health Plus enrollment.
  • A Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) is available to provide individual and group mental health counseling. The LCSW is available for parent and family consultations and can provide evaluation of students as needed.
  • A Dental Hygienist (RDH) is available to provide preventive dental services, referrals and individual and classroom oral health education. Not available at all sites at this time.

What happens when my child is ill and the school is closed?

respiration.jpgThe SBHC will be open on days school is in session. Services will not be provided during school vacations or days off. The SBHC is open during the summer for a limited number of days. When the SBHC is not open, the Bassett Healthcare system is the back-up health care facility. If the school is closed and your child needs emergency treatment call 911. If not a medical emergency, call your health care provider (doctor, nurse practitioner, physician's assistant) or Bassett Healthcare 1-800-BASSETT (1-800-227-7388).

Who has access to my child's medical records?

All medical records are confidential, as they are part of the Bassett Healthcare medical records system. In order to provide quality, comprehensive health care to the students enrolled, the SBHC staff would be happy to send a copy of your child's medical visits to her/his primary care health provider. Before we can send any records, the parent must sign the Student Information Form.

  • Bassett’s Save a Life Campaign

    Do you know CPR and how to use an AED? Learn Feb 10 at the Oneonta Indoor Heart Walk at FoxCare Center. It was May of 2016 when Kristin Ratliff collapsed on the Cooperstown High School track during read more

    MyHealthy Decisions: Heart Care and CPR

    Hands-only cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) not only increases the likelihood of surviving breathing and cardiac emergencies, but it’s simple to learn and easy to remember. For a refresher any time, you can print up this page and keep it with the rest of your first-aid supplies.

    read more

One Atwell Road Cooperstown, NY 13326

607-547-3456 : 1-800-BASSETT (227-7388)