Post-Graduate Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program
Welcome from Gregory Rys, DNP, FNP-BC
Director, NP Residency Program
Bassett Healthcare Network’s Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program provides an integrative training platform to new post-graduate nurse practitioners so they may confidently and proficiently serve as a primary care provider in a complex health care arena. The program’s ultimate goal is to help improve health outcomes for our patients and the global health of the communities we serve by expanding access to quality health and wellness services.
Residents are hired as a 40 hour per week employee with full time benefits that include salary, sick, vacation and personal time, health insurance, FSA, and a retirement plan. There is also loan repayment opportunity post-graduation and if hired. Residents accepted to the program will be awarded a clinical portfolio upon successful completion of the residency.
Bassett’s Post-Graduate Family Nurse Practitioner Residency Program aims to:
- Train new post-graduate nurse practitioner residents to master the principles of primary care consistent with the patient centered medical home principles that are team-based, comprehensive, patient-centered, coordinated, accessible, high quality and safe.
- Increase the overall confidence and professional job satisfaction of new post-graduate nurse practitioners who are committed to working in underserved rural community settings.
- Cultivate the leadership qualities and potential of nurse practitioners to engage in leadership roles and activities both within their practice setting as well as in the local, state and federal communities with which they are engaged.
- 2021-22 program application is currently open
- Interviews will begin in mid-April
- 12-month Residency Program begins in July
- Precepted clinical sessions by Bassett faculty (NP/MD/PA) 7 sessions/week
- Weekly sub-specialty clinics
- Observed patient care session with real-time interdisciplinary commentary
- Weekly didactic/seminars/Workshops – held at Foxcare and Bassett Medical Center
- Daily chart rounds
- 2-week community Health clerkship
- Weekly Grand Round and noontime clinical lectures
- One Quality Improvement project
Sample of On Site Sub-Specialty Clinics:
- Women’s Health
- School-Based Health
- Pediatric Neurology
- Diabetic Education
- Physical Therapy
Sample of Weekly Didactic/Workshop*
- Diabetes 101
- Malpractice in Primary Care
- Women’s Health issues in Primary Care
- The Elderly Patient
- Integrative Behavioral Health in Primary Care
- Motivational interviewing
*Weekly didactics and workshops will be held at both Foxcare and the Bassett Medical Center Medical School
Pre- and Post-Residency Self Evaluation Quarterly Faculty Evaluation of each Resident
- Graduate of Accredited Masters or Doctorate level Program
- Certified by AANP or ANCC required before program start
- DEA and NY registration/licensure required