NICHE Program & Bassett Hospitals
Bassett Healthcare Network hospitals have achieved designation as NICHE hospitals. NICHE stands for Nurses Improving Care for Healthsystem Elders and is the only national designation indicating a hospital’s commitment to elder care excellence.
Approximately 50 percent or more of the inpatient population our network hospitals care for is 65 years of age or older. The NICHE program is designed to help staff engage our elderly population in a geriatric sensitive way.
The NICHE program helps Bassett:
- Improve geriatric nursing knowledge and patient outcomes.
- Enhance work satisfaction in caring for older adults.
- Achieve better outcomes as a result of fewer patient falls, pressure ulcers and urinary tract infections commonly associated with hospitalization of older patients.
NICHE innovations implemented at Bassett include:
- Clinical protocols specifically for older patients.
- Geriatric Resource Nurse (GRN) model adopted to enhance staff knowledge and provide system-wide support for improved geriatric care.
- Provide improved patient/nurse interaction that helps allay older adult patient fears and anxiety related to hospitalization.
To learn more about NICHE, visit www.nicheprogram.org.