Every day, children and adults have or develop health conditions that significantly affect their ability to manage their daily lives. With the help of occupational therapy, many of these individuals can achieve or regain a higher level of independence.
Occupational Therapists are trained to analyze the task requirements of each activity to identify barriers that may hinder a person’s independence in the activities of daily living for use in the home and community. This analysis can include the physical/physiological, psychological/cognitive, sensory, socio/economic and cultural aspects of a given task.
The OT will help people either re-learn basic skills or modify an existing one.When skill and strength cannot be developed or improved, occupational therapy offers creative solutions and alternatives for carrying out daily activities. We focus on function utilizing interventions to impact the individual, their caregiver, the home environment and/or their community. Through an individualized program the OT can address any stumbling block to the person living life to it’s fullest. If we can’t change the person we can provide the tools to compensate for physical or mental limitations to make the world more user friendly for the individual.
OT services are available 5 days a week for out patients and for patients in the hospital for Swing Bed Rehabilitation Services or on an acute admission.
Occupational Therapy Services
- Fall Prevention
- Balance Training
- Sensory Integration for Function
- Low Vision Therapy
- Training in (I) ADL
- Cognitive Therapy
- Training in Time Management, Problem Solving, Executive function
- Energy Conservation (for Chronic Conditions/ COPD/Elderly)
- Body Mechanics (work simplification)
- Hand Therapy to regain (I) function
- Purposeful Activities to regain skills
- Assistive Technology Clinic: Wheel Chair assessment for mobility and seating, Pressure Mapping for effective seating choices and biofeedback for position changes in treatment of Pressure Ulcers.
- Assessment and Design of systems for 24 hr postural control for children and adults with movement impairments
- Home Visits for Assessment of barriers
- Recommendations for Home Modifications
- Training in use of Mobility Devices
- ADL Equipment for Physical, Cognitive, Sensory, or Visual defects
- Functional Discharge Planning
To access Occupational Therapy Services at Bassett Healthcare you should discuss your issues with your primary care physician or other specialist who may be treating you for the current problem. You will need a physician to order “OT services to evaluate and treat as indicated." Once you have a physician's order call to make an appointment.